The Side Walk Slam: Has Bret lost his flavor?

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Has Bret lost his flavor?

Every Wrestling fan has that one wrestler that back in the day really grabbed their attention. For a lot of people its Hulk Hogan, the Ultimate warrior, newer fans might say Stone Cold Steve Austin or the Rock, and the kiddies might say John Cena. Mine without a shadow of a Doubt was Bret the Hitman Hart.

I followed the Hitman's Career snice the days of the orginal Hart Foundation. Back in thr day when Tag Team wrestling still meant something. Tag teams like the Rockers, Demolition, The Road Warriors, the Bulldogs, and yes dare I say it even the Nasty boys.

I watch the Hitman spawn from tag team wrestling to singles championships . I still remember WM 8 and it killer match with the Roddy one for the IC belt, that match made me a believer that Bret Hart was a Big time player and was only a matter of time before he and Hogan face each other in the square circle.

Bret went form a guy who I hated and thought look gay for wearing pink to being the man. Providing us with some of the greatest pure wrestling matches of all time. Matches like Owen VS Bret in the steel cage, or how about Bret VS the Bulldog in Wembley Stadium, or the I quit match between him and Stone cold. The list of matches are endless and many of them can be found on his dvd " the best there is , the best there was and the best there ever will be ".

Skip forward to the 97 Survivor Series, the infamous screw job. I remember watching that live and how pissed I was at the whole ordeal. I couldn't wait for Hart to get the fuck out of there and go to the WCW, the WCW will treat him right, he'll be a champ there, he'll turn things around. Didn't quite happen that way.

No no it didn't, the WCW had no idea how to use Bret Hart, instead of having Bret walking straight into the middle of the ring, tell the world he was ready to play with the big boys and Challenge Hogan for the world title, he just kinda wasted away there. The only one real good match with the Hitman was the Tribute match In Owen's honor against Chris Benoit. Not not far down the road he was put out of wrestling completly by Bill Goldberg with a devastating kick to the head. A sad way to end a legacy of one of the best technical wrestlers of all time.

12 years later and a stroke, we now see Bret Hart standing back in a WWE ring. I personally couldn't be happier to see one of my heroes finally putting to rest the tragic affair of the 1997 Survivor Series. How ever the question I ask you is do you care? Is Bret Hart relevant in today's wrestling world? The way its going now it looks like either Bret Hart VS Vince in a street fight, or we could be looking at some sort of tag match with Bret / Cena VS Vince / Batista. I got to tell ya I want to See the Hitman rise from the ashes one more time and kick some serious ass , I just dont know if he can do it anymore. Clearly on raw Bret was not goign to take any bumps and looked kinda weak in that segment. Don't get me wrong I love the Hitman , my fear here that I feel if this isn't done correctly they might do more damage then good. Whats your say?

No comments:

Post a Comment